Church HistoryEstablished on the Second Sunday of Easter, 1851.


In 2001 St. Teresa Parish celebrated 150 years as a Parish community. It began as a small country Parish in North Woolwich in 1851, moved to a larger church on Water Street in Elmira in 1889, purchased a rectory, and was able to have a resident Priest by 1924. Always an active community, St. Teresa Parish in the 1930's and 1940's not only held religious services, pious societies and offered religious education for children, it also hosted social and athletic activities, such as the Garden Parties, bingo, Holy Name Hockey, and boxing matches in the church basement. The 1950's and 1960's saw the beginning of the Catholic Women's League and the Holy Name Society for men. The changes brought by the Second Vatican Council were experienced throughout the 1970's and 1980's, as the community participated in RENEW and lay people assumed new liturgical roles. In 1992 the Parish moved its place of worship. The beautiful, modern church of St. Teresa on Flamingo Drive accomodates up to 490 people when the folding wall connecting the library is open. The decision to build a new church was difficult, and fraught with heartache. Many families felt they were abandoning a "home" their forebears had sacrificed to achieve. Nevertheless, through prayer, hard work, and cooperation, the new building has become home to the living faith community that is St. Teresa Parish today.


For a more detailed history, click here